18 Oct Men, Want to Treat Women Better? Here’s a List.
Nicole Silverberg is a TV writer and provided The Guardian with this list of ways men can treat women better:
- Talk to your friend who is “kind of a creep” at work.
- Don’t talk over women.
- If you are asked to be on a panel/team and see that it’s all men, say something. Maybe even refuse the spot!
- When you see another guy talk over a woman, say: “Hey, she was saying something.”
- Don’t call women “crazy” in a professional setting.
- Don’t touch women you don’t know, and honestly, ask yourself why you feel the need to touch women in general.
- Involve women in your creative projects, then let them have equal part in them.
- Don’t make misogynistic jokes.
- Don’t expect women to be “nice” or “cute” and don’t get upset when they aren’t those things.
- Don’t make assumptions about a woman’s intelligence, capabilities or desires based on how she dresses.
- Pay women as much as you pay men.
- Don’t get defensive when you get called out.
- Don’t need to literally witness a man being horrible in order to believe that he’s horrible. Trust and believe women.
- Don’t use your power to get women’s attention/company/sex/etc.
- Be aware of your inherent power in situations and use it to protect women, especially via talking to other men.
- Stop thinking that because you’re also marginalized or a survivor that you cannot inflict pain or oppress women.
- Don’t read a list like this and think that most of these don’t apply to you.
For the full list, click here.